Most of us love a day at the beach, we get the chance to lay in the sand and soak up the sun’s rays. When things get a little too hot, a dip in the ocean is the best way to cool down. When swimming in the sea, you should be aware of the dangers. Open water swimming is entirely different to a pool. Tides change every day and the coastline varies from one section to another.
If you are playing in the sea and you get taken out by a strong rip current, try not to panic. If you cannot swim, this can be a very scary experience. If you panic, you lose energy fast and you may start to hyperventilate. If you are on a body board or inflatable, take a deep breath and signal for help. Waving a loose piece of clothing or paddle is a good way to attract attention.
Don’t Be a Hero
If you haven’t read the New Zealand water safety code, now is a good time to do so. It provides guidelines that could save your life. If you see someone in trouble while on the beach, don’t be a hero. Call the nearest lifeguard and let them handle the situation. If you aren’t professionally trained, a distressed swimmer can easily pull you down with them.
Don’t Consume Alcohol
There is no problem having a drink while on the beach, but you should never drink alcohol and swim in the ocean. Drinking alcohol impairs your judgement, making you take risks you wouldn’t normally consider. In addition to being more adventurous, drink also slows your reaction times. If anyone in you party has drank a consider amount of alcohol, it is best to stop them entering the water.
Here are some addition things to remember for beach water safety:
- Young kids should wear life jackets or float suits at all times
- Wear easy to see swimwear
- Swim between the flags
- Understand the dangers of rip currents
- Tell someone when you want to go for a swim
This article has mentioned just a few important things to remember when swimming in the sea. If you want to be fully prepared, take a look at the New Zealand water safety code and beach safety information. All of this information can be easily found online, and it contains a lot of useful tips to keep you and your family safe.
- Finding The Perfect Condo For You & Your Family In Bangkok September 16, 2021
- Factors To Consider When You Want To Purchase A Yacht September 4, 2021
- The Various Types Of Massages You Can Enjoy When Visiting Thailand September 1, 2021
- 4 Things to Consider Before You Rent a Houseboat July 27, 2021
- Some Of The Best Cities & Towns To Visit Journeying Through Laos July 21, 2021
- Is Camping Your New Favorite Way to Take Vacations? July 15, 2021
- 5 Things to Know About Medicare When You Travel May 13, 2021